~ the sale is over but not the memories ~

Don't ever let me get bored - because I might just volunteer - and you'll never realize until it's over how intense I can be and OCD driven to get it done.  

This event was to help my neighbor across the street to move her remaining items from her home...  She's headed back to their new Nashville farmhouse full time and I find even though we just met I will miss her.  The family didn't use the house enough the last 2 years so that we could get to know each other - but the last 5 days made up for the years missed. 

Her question to me was - "Jeni - how do I get rid of the rest of my items" ....  my response was that consignment stores will only take a few of your best and it could take months to get them sold and paid. I know - because I gave a store $4000 at retail and they sold a piece a month for the next 6 months and still had items left I had to move myself.  You also have to pay the movers to get it to the store. 


Lisa and Jeni

You all may remember my own estate sale last February,  here



 It was a lot of work - but it was extremely successful so why not try the formula over again.  It's all about being organized with a capital 'O' and have everything tagged and displayed beautifully.  It's not 'your leftovers' anymore - it's another man's or woman's treasures.  RIGHT?

The key was social networking - on Craig's List, EstateSales.net, FB Groups - 9 to be exact - Let it Go and signage!

We posted 5 signs around the neighborhood - but somewhere there's a grump that lives around here and eventually turns us into the police and actually follows them around to pick up the signs. Surprisingly,  I found with all the advertising - our signs pulled big time!!!!





The gorgeous home she's leaving. 



I think most of the buyers were amazed by the other view from inside the house as they shopped. 



At 9am we had a line waiting and by 9:30 the line was at the check out.  I couldn't count and take the money fast enough - Gail to the rescue.....





We sold this bedroom set - still trying to sell the bed.


Lisa and Gail
Lisa stayed at her friends house ~ Gail ~ who helped throughout the sale.  As a matter of fact, she was also our best customer - purchasing like a woman on a mission for her nephew's new place.... dining room set, dressers and side tables, rugs, mirrors, .....   this bachelor is set. 

I've since learned that Gail has caught the 'estate sale bug'.  She's thinking about doing her own with her sisters for her mother.  



They come by car and by bikes.  


We even had repeat customers from my own sale in February.    Friday was a wild fire and Saturday was slower but beneficial. 
I ran a second ad Friday night with the items that were left ~ showing the new reduced prices.  



A cute girl and her friend drove 30 minutes to get this table.  I was so pleased.  It was something I paint myself. 


Parents bought this for their daughter. 



A mother bought this for her 9 year old daughter to do her homework on.   This was Lisa's desk when she was 9 years old.  Does that mean this item is Vintage?


My mother's birdcage is going into a Vintage store.  


Someone had been communicating with me for days for this TV Entertainment - when she saw it marked down......
SOLD!


My favorite piece was purchased by a single man for his home.  He felt his Mother would be so impressed that he had chosen this antique Chinese Chinoiserie drop down desk.  

Many sales had a story behind them which makes it fun.  

The right people showed up targeting specific items. 

At the end of the day we were straightening up and wondering what to do with the remainder of the larger items.  So I started moving the furniture around and this is what we came up with. 



Why did't we do this sooner!  I'm feeling a French West Indies decor is screaming for a home - and I'm thinking this is a great group for a realtor to stage a home.

MORE ADVERTISING.  THESE ITEMS ARE TOO NICE TO GIVE A WAY.  




This Chinese desk and artwork - which I brought back from Hong Kong are also still available. 





Sunday morning we stacked the left overs in the garage for the St Mathew's house to pick up. 


And Lisa has a 2 day drive ahead ~ alone ~  on a holiday weekend.  Poor girl - she has so much energy. 



WE DID IT!  But would we do it again.....   only time will tell. 



The best thing - the rain stayed away both days.  It just showed up this afternoon.  

Happy 4th of July Weekend! 



Comments

POPULAR POSTS