~ Artex TV Tray ~


In 1954, C.A. Swanson & Sons in Omaha, Nebraska, introduced the frozen TV dinner, marketing it as an easy-to-prepare, fun-to-eat meal, with a disposable tray that reduced clean-up time. The portable TV dinner tapped into Americans’ excitement over television, allowing families to eat in front of their new sets. By 1960, nearly 90 percent of American homes had a television. 




So when I saw a group at my local thrift store I got excited.  Except the color was a bit bright to live with. 




 The group was $50 with the stand that held them (finding the stand too is difficult) - and without knowing anything about them - I'm thinking great deal.  I'm also guessing they're from the 60's because as a kid I remember the days sitting in front of the TV eating off ours...

Inexpensive folding-tray tables were made for eating in front of the TV and became an alternative to the family dinner table. Trays were made of metal, fiberglass, wood, and heavy duty plastics so they could withstand the heat from the food, and be durable enough to withstand constant use and cleaning. Tray patterns included nature scenes, food illustrations, and later included television characters. The look of the trays adapted to aesthetic trends as the TV tray became an essential furniture item in many American homes. 



Butterflies are one of my passions - and living in Florida -walking away from them is difficult.  

But the color - let's face it - is LOUD!  Hence, like everything, it just needs a coat of paint.  I took each table apart which took time - you can see all the screws.  And if I had my trusty paint sprayer this would have been an easy job - BUT I didn't so by hand I painted each leg and tray white and then added a light coat of antique stain to age them and keep the vintage feel.  
I also added a high gloss boat lacquer finish to the tray table top to refurbish it.  

You can only imagine how long that took.  I did a tray a week so not to go crazy.  


These tray tables are still made today, some in retro styles mimicking the old sets, and others in sleek metal and wood modernist constructions. The trays are marketed not only as platforms for food, but also as side tables, desks, and beverage trays. The recent fascination with repurposing and reusing retro items has caught hold of the TV tray, and they are popular design features, particularly in small apartment spaces that require multi-use spaces.

A customer with a small apartment was in need of a way to have people over for dinner and loved the tables.  They had been hidden in a corner of my booth and they eventually made it up front and center.  It was the end of the season here and they were already marked down, but they hadn't been there long because it took me so long to paint them.  Since I was there, she asked for a discount and I caved in and sold them for $115.  I shouldn't have - with my 15% commission - I made only $45 for all my labor. 


Usually these tables run $45 each on Ebay and Etsy.  That means $180 for this grouping.  Darn, I sold too cheap.  What I thought would be a difficult sale - wasn't. 

OTHER ARTEX TRAYS





I like my find the best. 




Another find I still have. 



Comments

  1. I have a complete set of the Artex Green Corp of NY sailboat collection with stand and mint condition... Does anybody know anything about them

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

POPULAR POSTS