~ new mirrors for the master bedroom ~

A house is always a work in progress.  We moved into our new build April 2014 but much of the Chinese furniture didn't arrive until March 2016  ~ after we departed Hong Kong. 


This is a Tommy Bahama 4 poster in dark brown and wicker ~ creating the targeted British West Indies inspiration.  The bedside tables were actually from Restoration Hardware BABY! on sale and discontinued.  The size was perfect to fit the area needed - and it wasn't too feminine or shabby chic  ~ something my husband would also like. I always thought I might paint it. 

THE ROOM



I purchased this antique Chinese cabinet in 1993 from Macau for maybe $600.  They shipped it to my high rise flat on the 7th floor but it wouldn't fit the elevator.  Back in the '90's we were able to return items to Macau and cut the piece in half and redeliver.  That's not something that can be done anymore since the handover.  This piece is also very unique and has increased in value to my guess ~ $4500!! It's been in the Living Room with a TV, Dining Room w/ a bar, Family Room w/ photos storage and now the Master Bedroom storing my purses. I will never part with this piece. 


Palm leaf fan and brown zebra fabric on an storage ottoman. 


The chair is from Chesterdales.  The lamp was something I  purchased in China and added one of my own shades I had made.  The green pots are antiques from one of my China factory excursions. 


CHECK OUT MY SEARCH ON PINTEREST AND INTERNET FOR THE RIGHT MIRROR.



Originally I was searching for a large antiqued mirror that would make it look like a window. 
TOO SKINNY

Moroccan? FRAME TOO SKINNY

NOT SURE ABOUT THE COLOR - LOOKING FOR MORE GOLD

GOLD IS TOO BRIGHT - WANTED MORE OLD WORLD, BUT CAN'T AFFORD THE PRICE TAG.


WANTED THIS......



BUT THEN I FOUND THIS AND LIKED IT.  It has the curved top and the look of the Louis Mirror design with some added detail to keep it old world.  I don't know the source of the mirror but I'm sure it's more than I want to pay so I kept sourcing......


HORCHOW had it on sale and I was tired of looking.  It's 27" wide and 42" high. 




The mirrors have D hooks. 


Measure and level to make sure all D hooks are at the same place. 

I painstakingly measured where the 4 anchors/screws were going to get pounded into the wall.   The blue tape line is the location - at each end of the tape is where the anchor goes.   Also note I had to center each above the dresser and just 3" below the bedpost.  That meant it was 9" above the dresser.  


The equipment needed. 

 Great wall anchors for new drywall. 
 BUT - I ran into a stud on my second anchor. 
Check for your studs FIRST.  I forgot this step. 

I panicked at first and then went to my local Ace Hardware and purchased a long 'wood' screw.  The dry wall was compromised because I had pounded a metal anchor into the wall and then removed it.  You need a stronger screw than shown above and a little longer to then drill into the wood.  

IT WORKED!

VOILA - THE END RESULT!




Am I thrilled with them... not really.  








I use pretty tiles for coasters - they're larger than a normal coaster and sturdier. 


There's a story that goes with this Bust. 
 I found it under a stairway in a factory ~ it was full of dust and pastel in color.   I had them remove the paint and stain the Bust dark brown.  Then had it mounted on this base with metal braces to create an art piece.  Over the years the bust has cracked - but that makes it look even older.  It cost me $50.  The dark wicker baskets are also from the factories. 



I was esthetic when I locally found this open shelf for the TV.  I had actually seen the concept in a magazine and decide that's what I wanted ~ but now I just had to find it.   There are so many cabinets in the room ~ I didn't want another solid piece.    


My husband collects old radios.  I collect everything else.  The painting is done by my Mother.  


I had these chairs recovered - unfortunately you don't see the pretty contrasting fabric on the back. 


Bought this antique table at a Chinese Factory.  The curved lines were so unique.  


My Mother painted this - maybe~ 65 years ago ~ I had the frame. 


Master Bath - curtains match the bedspread. 
Shell lamps are from Ballard Designs


Next on the list is to paint some artwork that will fit the niches.  Something simple.... of course.  I've already purchased the canvas.

The tables are from Wayfair  That was another hunt...... for the perfect fit!





My side...


His side...






Comments

POPULAR POSTS