FRENCH COUNTRY DESIGN PAINTED & REINVENTED




Last October I wrote about this dresser here.  Like most people. even I think twice about painting lovely wood.  But you can't always get the value you think a piece is worth if you try to sell it.  For $125 I purchased this wonderful French Country dresser with so much appeal at a Church Thrift Store. 

But my lanai is small and this piece is dark and heavy. 




SO I PAINTED IT!




I did a little distressing with the sander to give it the aged look.  I may even add some dark wax to antique it.  I'll also add a dark stain to the top wood to protect it.  





I used the Linen color Milk paint and did the handles in an antique white for some contrast - I then sanded them too to show some of the brass. I didn't paint the key holes white - I thought it would be too busy looking. 






BEFORE


AFTER

I also painted the birdcage and stand.  The cage was black and the stand was a badly aged gold metal.  I used a little of textured spray paint on it to give it some 'tooth' for antique wax - then added some large seashells inside.  I'm in love of the idea of the birdcage - but I'm not yet in love with this finish. Maybe it needs another place in the house. 


Artificial flowers are in every thrift shop - not always looking their best but the price can be right. 

This particular one had a beautiful black toile tin container that was worth the value.  Think I paid too much at $30 - but imagine what this cost originally.  The flowers used are very expensive and good quality - they just aren't the color I want. 





So I changed them out.  I used some of the bamboo stalks but added the orange and white tiger lilies. 
I eventually used the raspberry pieces with an all white vase - and that one I purchased very cheap at $1 - so if you do the average - I'm ahead. 

I always buy my flowers from JoAnn or Michaels when I have a 50% off coupon and another 20% - and they are sale.  If I do it right a good stalk will average me about $4-5 and yield me 4-5 flowers and some greenery.  This way it's used in several arrangements - everything gets cut to the size needed and placed. 


Yes - I painted these candle stick too. 





Old rustic Horse Stirrups - are the candle holders. 



Comments

POPULAR POSTS