~ shadow box for silver collar




I have travelled all over Asia and on one trip I picked up this silver Collar.  Ok, now I've spent the last hour going thru old photos to remember where.  I remember, it was warm ~ I remember walking around a small open air market place and at the last stall I purchased this collar for maybe about $10.  It had to be my trip to Hunan, China. 


I found these on Etsy for the prices shown.  Mine is like the one on the right for $325.  I'm thinking my $10 was a bargain. 


Zhangjiajie National Forest Park


Home of the Shaolin Temple Kung Fu Academy


They tried to teach us a few moves, but in a Skort and sandals it's not the easiest. 

Our first stop located in Dengfeng, was the Songyan Academy ~ 

one of the four largest academies during the Song Dynasty that prepared students for the imperial examination.



Another stop was the 

Longman Buddhist caves at Luoyang Hunan Province China


Our last stop was Kang Manor ~ 600 year old home. 






One of my  MOMENTOs of my trip to Henan Provence

This is a gorgeous Miao Hmong Silver Band Necklace Collar with intricate and detail work from the Hill Tribe people of Southeast Asia. The Miao are an ethnic minority group of people in China. They inhabit mainly the southwest region of the country. Miao silver is not pure silver, but an alloy of silver, copper and nickel. It’s a traditional material for making jewelry by craftsmen of Miao Hmong ethnic tribe. The percentage of silver is about 60%. Miao Hmong silver jewelry is distinctive for its design, style and craftsmanship. Miao Hmong silver jewelry is completely handmade with decorative patterns. 



STEP ONE

I happened upon a hand made window box at a local Vintage market for $35.  It was already painted white. 





STEP TWO
The green floral chintz is some extra fabric on hand in my collection.  I cut it up and used Mod Podge to adhere it to the wood. 




STEP THREE

I found a hook that was mounted on a painted wood plaque at Hobby Lobby.  By turning it sideways and gluing it down - I could hang the silver collar. 



STEP FOUR

I added a few seashells for added interest and finish the edges. 

STEP FIVE
I added new "D" hooks and wire on the back to hang it. 



My Dining Room is still a work in progress.  It's unfortunately a room we use maybe 3 times a year.  Most of the time we have dinner parties on the patio. 





Beneath is an oil painting I purchased in 1993 when I first arrived in Hong Kong.  I had it reframed for the room. 




The cabinet below is a hand painted Tibetan antique, the chairs were my old pine ones that I repainted and covered.  



One of my favorite antique Chinese tables I acquired.  It's elmwood and I finally painted and distressed the bottom and a light coat of pine stain on the top.  









In the same room is my painted breakfront.  You can find a blog on it HERE

Comments

POPULAR POSTS