~ painting a table ~


Transforming a plain table with good bones. 





What makes this a nice design?
    • 12 sides - unique shape
    • wrought iron legs - makes it sturdy
    • glass insert - in good condition - lightens the look of the heavy piece
    • carving on the side. 


First, I mixed 2 gray paints I had laying around.  One was a milk paint base so I didn't have to prep the piece. 



Next I dip a toothbrush into some Burnt Sienna paint and splatter it all over while wearing a rubber glove.  This can get messy, but I love the effect.  


I then do a light sanding around the edges to age the piece. 


Followed by a light antique stain - where I mix 1 part dark antique to 3 parts clear wax.  Then finish it with a top coat to lock it all in. It sounds like a lot of work but because the surface is small it goes quickly. 


But I still felt the black legs made it heavy - not the Florida Coastal look needed.  So I quickly took it out to the spray booth and made the legs an antique white. 







In order to clear out my inventory from my garage after my estate sale - I was selling it for only $100 on Craig's list.  The night of my dinner party I needed another counter to house the wine glasses and remembered that the piece was still in my garage.
For $100 - I think I'll keep it a little longer. 



Comments

POPULAR POSTS