~ painting a table ~

I have a friend around the corner who was putting this old pine table out to the curb for the garbage as I was driving by. 


NO WAY!

I took it home and was using it for several months in my 'spraying' booth - it held items higher up - easier for me to reach.  I didn't care if the table was sprayed - it was free.  


raw wood 


I love the legs on this piece.  

One of the drop down leaves was broken off and it's somewhere hidden in my garage - and someday I will actually find it.  It's an easy fix with 3 screws but I wasn't in a hurry since I was just using the table as a 'tool'.  



The Project 

 I'm working on getting my office usable and I need another piece of furniture.  So, why not use this lovely table to hold some items and hide large ones underneath - (you'll see later). 

I was in Anthropologie - you can find me there several times a month - and saw this table.  Instantly, I knew this is what I wanted to do with my table.  


Anthropologie

So off I went - this project took me about an hour. 


I painted the top with General Finishes Milk Paint in light Gray - 2 layers - it dries quickly.  I forgot to take a photo at this stage. But it was too light.  So I found a small jar of chalk paint in a darker gray from Michaels.  I mixed them together and finished the top.

Next was a layer of dark and clear wax combo.  I work fast!


Then a quick wash of the stain on the legs.  I did very little sanding and left the caked on white paint from my paint sprayer in parts.  Just used a rubber glove and a cloth to wipe it on. 




For the top - this was more the color I was after.  And I love the dark mix of wax finish - it creates a 2 tone effect and the old world look I was after. 



I was out of the General Finishes top coat in Matte - but I had a spray can of matte finish top coat laying around - usually used for artwork - it's an oil base - so it should add some protection.  Why not...  And sprayed it all over. 





With a tension bar I added this skirt that I had on a cabinet.  That cabinet will get a new skirt.  The skirt will hide the baskets I have underneath - you can see them peaking out - voila! Tres cute!




Everything above is from a thrift store. 


add my chair to the mix



add my artwork to the mix


My tennis hats are in the basket up top - and my tennis shoes are in an open weave basket behind the curtain.  


I bought this chair for only $65 at a thrift store.  It's cute - but I would love a new updated fabric - even though this is lovely....  and it goes with my raspberry oriental that I layered on top of my seagrass. 
The painting - I found at Goodwill for $10! It's an original oil painting with matte and frame.  Love it. 


This is what I mean by a more updated chair!




And this original artwork would look wonderful above my larger desk - but I would have to paint it myself.




Comments

POPULAR POSTS