PAINTED FRAMES


I thought the 'dark corner' project was done but after looking at the end of the hallway for several days - there was something still wrong.  

The gilt colored frames are a pair I bought probably 20 years ago while in Hong Kong.  I was with a girlfriend and we were exploring the back streets of Kowloon after visiting the Ladies Market and came across this Art showroom tucked away on a second floor walk up.  There I found these frames and artwork of the English country side for only $20 each.  I'll never part with them but their too ornate for my Southern Style and Florida home.  I've come to the realization after pounding away at Pinterest every morning with my cup of coffee - I need to get the color white into my home whenever I can.  




So, here's a start.  



I do this with many things - I put a coat of crackling compound on first and wait about an hour.  Then I paint. 


But I left the gold edges around the paintings to show contrast and sparkle. 


Next a little rough sandpaper to distress. 


Then I mix 3/4 clear wax with 1/4 antique wax (Anne Sloan) and use a brush from the $1 store. 


With an old sock or rag I rub the entire thing to tone down the antique finish and give it a more polished look.






BEFORE AND AFTER

Guess it was fine either way, but it gives me a change.  The white plays off the white wicker top below and the chair. 

Here's another way.



Annie Sloan shares a technique that brings out the beautiful detail on gilded surfaces with pronounced carving such as mirrors & frames. Apply ASCP to the surface, getting it into all the recesses. Once the paint has dried thoroughly, take a damp cloth and wipe over the raised carving leaving paint in the recesses. By wiping just a few times, paint can be left as a wash over some of the raised areas so the effect is soft, or it can be wiped quite cleanly so the difference in the gold and paint comes apparent.


Here's an old frame painted with Paris Gray and lightly antiqued. 


How about an entire wall with white painted frames. 


You have to think this frame was gold at one time. 








Comments

POPULAR POSTS