ANTIQUE CHINESE TV CABINET & COFFEE TABLE

FOR SALE 
VALUE $1800 - NOW ONLY $650
59" W X 18" D X 31" H


A few days ago I finished refurbishing one of my favorite pieces that I found in China.  When I worked with my customers creating new TV cabinets - everything was streamline, modern and cheaply made.  There was just no design authenticity to the pieces offered in the retail stores. So I searched out antiques and unique pieces to convert for them.  Later I designed new ones since they became harder to find over the years. 

This was originally a piece made in the early 19th century - over 80 years old.  The curved legs give it a slight french influence.  Maybe it came from Shanghai, but I found it at one of my Zhuhai factories and it's made of elmwood. 

I cut out the wood panels and added frosted glass so that the infa red would work for the TV remotes. 



I originally had the top stained a dark brown with a heavy lacquer finish. But over the years with the TV displayed on top - the stain discolored in places. 



 So I stripped it down to the raw wood and added clear wax for protection.  This creates a very beachy look. I worked under my sun umbrella which kept me cooler and sped up the stripper process.  I had to do 3 tries with the stripper and then used steel wool to finish it off smooth. 


Antique Brass closures. 






Above is the before and after - how I found the cabinet in a dark brown color - showing off a very aged patina - but it was too dark so I had it painted.  Problem in China at the time - all lacquer protection is with oil.  Oil contains a yellow pigment, therefore after a few years a cream or white paint will actually turn an ugly yellow.  


You can see it turning yellow above after 3 years. 

When I moved to my new apartment - I eventually painted the cabinet a taupe brown.  I desperately wanted cream but with my stark white walls it would have looked out of place.  The other problem is that the paint in Hong Kong is inferior and so are the finishes - for the layman to purchase.  I painted and distressed it but never liked the color. 


Not to confuse you but I have to show off another one I found and transformed for a client. 





Now! I adore the piece and I am offering it in my booth. In Hong Kong this piece would sell for $14,000 hk dollars = $1,800.
I have it priced at $650.

There are shelves inside all the doors for equipment - and an opening in the back for the cords. 


This would look wonderful with the RL Look of white and distressed wood.


This coffee table complements the TV cabinet in another shade of cream with a sturdy solid wood body and top. You can stand on this piece it's so solid. No MDF or Veneer on this piece. 
Curved legs giving it a softer feel. 


And a drawer with Chinese hardware to house the remotes. 
SHABBY CHIC DISTRESSED


The original value of this piece is $950.  I'm selling for $375.

OTHER CURRENT ITEMS



I have 2 of these gold metallic/porcelain/ginger jar lamps in my own living room.  A little sparkle with a vintage feel - very RL!  The lamp shade I also had made.  I use to go to the local markets and purchase my own fine linen fabric and send it directly to the factory.  I later found out that only 1 man was making my exquisite shades.  He was 80 years old and he handmade each piece.  Sadly, he passed away last year and the younger generation was never taught his fine skills.
  
The lamp complete is $398 and NOW 20% OFF.


I just finished painting and antiquing...
BACKERS RACK - $650


China Breakfront - 2 pcs. 



ANOTHER ITEM I PAINTED
4 LAYERS OF PAINT AND WASH - WITH 2 LAYERS OF WAX AND ANTIQUE.  TOOK ME A WEEK.
ALSO NEW HARDWARE
LEADED GLASS WINDOWS - MIRRORED BACK - GLASS SHELVES AND AN INTERIOR LIGHT. 
BREAKFRONT - VALUE $1800
SELLING NOW FOR $898

Join me at Chesterdales







Comments

POPULAR POSTS