REFURBISHING OLD LAMPS

Lamps are so expensive now and if you're looking for anything with some sort of quality in design - they are even higher.  

My creative juices started flowing as I began searching garage sales and Thrift stores for great 'body' styles.  

Here's is a pair of brass lamps that I purchase for $5 each.  The fact that the on/off click is on the bottom makes it even more retro. The other great fact - is the wiring was up to date and clean. 

Originally, like most treasures I find, they were suppose to head to the shop.... but oh no, not these. 





I used a basic acrylic paint on the left.  Problem is I used a different one on the right - and had to rework them several times to get them to match.  My goal was a cream and not a true white -so I kept toning down. I used some painters tape and aluminum foil around the wire by the base to keep the paint off. 

I usually use a Anne Sloan Antique Wax to hide flaws and to age a piece - but I was after a new flair of retro - so I kept a clean look. If I change my mind after I live with it - I can always antique later. 



So after 3-4 coats - VOILA!  


Because of their height - they were perfect for the entry.   My ceilings are 10.5 feet tall so anything too small would be dwarfed. These beautiful unique Chinese silk shades are a pair I had made before I left Hong Kong.  I was determined to use them somewhere in the home - and why not show them off as you enter it. 


Yes, I have Chinese Antiques showcased everywhere.  After living there 20 years - and being in the business - I have a few scattered in each room. 



Eventually the original oil painting will head to my office where it was intended...actually it was suppose to be for the shop - but again, oh no!.  It was another find at Goodwill for $10 in perfect condition. There's an old mirror of mine I need to paint for this spot.  




I have a pair of these milk glass lamps at the shop.  
It's a Goodwill Find
BUT:
1. I rewired 
2. New metal pole thru the piece because when I put it back together the old one no longer fit.
3. New bulb casing
4. New harp
5. New shade and finial. 
6. Painted the body white to match the milk glass

I have them marked down to $88 each.




I painted this white and enhanced the leafs a 2 tone green.  Add shades and this would be adorable summer like accent to a room. 
Add some seagrass shades to create the causal beachy feel. 

I removed the shades to keep the price down to $125.




This is a cloisonne antique Chinese lamp with beautiful pleated shade. 




Comments

POPULAR POSTS