ANTIQUE CHINESE KITCHEN CABINET


I have a past client and girlfriend asking how to finish off this cabinet below.  This antique Asian cabinet is generally referred to as a kitchen cabinet, due to the fact there are many open areas to allow air circulation for food or vegetable storage. Some also say the lower area was used to keep live poultry in.

It's one of my favorite designs for a cabinet - so much so I purchased one just before I left HK.  Ten years ago there were plenty available but like everything else it's getting harder to find. 

Many now use the lower open shelving for wine bottles. 



Cynthia's Cabinet
This may be rosewood because of the burgundy undertone.  If it were elmwood - it would have the tan undertone that's popular.  This is harder to get the 'raw' wood look because of the natural color. 


Dark Brown Stain - at other factory 


Painted a high lacquer RED on the front and kept brown stain - (which has a huge red tone) on the sides. 


I would keep the sides - chocolate brown - not this red stain. 

My Cabinet at the Factory


My Cabinet in my living room. 







Wood is stripped and bleached. 




LIGHT GRAY PAINT


FRONT ONLY 
DARK BROWN THE SIDES.
SAND OFF ABOUT 20% THAT'S ON THE FRONT. 

It's a color that is neutral and will go with any decor. 


This is too new - but it is the gray paint.  I would like it antiqued too - see the turquoise one below. 


Here's the concept painted a turquoise color. Distressed and antiqued. 

How to work the gray with a farmhouse vintage feel.







Great site for Asian Furniture with Paint



HEAVY ANTIQUE - OLD LOOKING


Clean look with sanded edges

2 tone brown cabinet - If you stay with the brown stain - I like this 2 tone finish.  
Rustic and old world farmhouse look. 

From 1st dibs






Comments

POPULAR POSTS