BLUE and WHITE OBSESSION


Several years ago, if you asked me if I collected anything, I probably would've said no. Since I move so many times, collections get sold off.  But last year, we moved into our new home, which I designed, and found myself working with the colors of blue and apple green.  Since I lived in Hong Kong and worked and shopped with several small porcelain stalls in China - I grew an extensive collection of blue and white to ship home.  Blending right in with the newly found collection was the small selection I had already acquired over the last 20 years.  I will never tire of it and I'm very happy with the result. 




This is me and my adorably shy vendor while in Zhuhai at the marketplace purchasing my favorite porcelain items for the last 6 years.  There is no English spoken but we understand how to conduct a business quickly in the half hour I have with her and 7 other ladies shopping.  Punch a few numbers in a calculator is all the language needed. 





Not all the lamps, but many of them I had to be rewire -  they were either old or had China fittings that don't work here.   That meant new inside metal rods, bulb fittings and harps. It's costly to have them done at a shop - however with some patience, it's something you can do yourself.  My local Ace Hardware even sells many of the parts - but I bought mine on line. 


I may have gotten this shade from Home Goods.  The pair of lamps are displayed on an alter table from the 17th century. 





This unique lamp was purchased as a pair in Hong Kong in 1992, so that's 24 years ago.   It's a very Asian design and I'm sure has some significant value so I can't seem to part with them.  I'd like to spray the bottom wood support gold - like the RL lamps.  Over time the wood stain fades and needs to be refreshed.  I've painted them shabby white or black over the years. 

See the difference!

I made the finial by gluing a natural stone medallion to a brass finding. 


Something like this can be $45 and up! EACH!  The findings can be found on line - and add anything you want... like a seashell. 

I found these here at Legacy Hardware for a good price of $24 - $26 each. 




This lamp is from England and I purchased at a house sale back in 1987.  Another I can't part with so I added a wicker shade from Ballard Designs to create a seaside feel and another carved piece of stone for a finial. 


Another, I found in Hong Kong back in the 90's.  In my local village I had one shop that I would frequent and purchased many of my porcelain lamps.  But it closed several years back when he retired. You can still find this classic teapot design and note the painted black wood support - this is one I rewired.  I also added a burlap type shade from Pottery Barn and a funky finial duck design in carved bone. 


A simple lamp in my laundry room.





Recently, I found this at a local second hand thrift shop. Think I paid $20. 


My front entry - the dish holds our car keys. 


My dining room 



My dining room table


The doves I found at a resale - in seconds I added some antique wax to age them.





Many items are place to hide electrical cords - or boxes from TV equipment. 




The antique white metal garden mirror was originally black and cost $42.   I couldn't sell it as black in the shop and after I painted it - I couldn't part with it.  The lamp is from Goodwill for $10 - I painted with white chalk paint and added a new shade. The clock was $15 from a thrift store and the blue and white vase is storing the bones from my Tibetan Terrier we put down in 1999 in Hong Kong.  This is how they gave them to me.  



Another thrift store find. 






These cabinets are from my China factory - and I scooped them up immediately knowing they were an exclusive find.  They were chicken coops.  The doors are not removable so unfortunately my collection is hidden a bit behind them.   I don't care.  





My dining room breakfront (that I still have to paint)  and more collection displayed. 



More in my pool bath. 


More thrift store finds.  I think the glass bottle was only cost $5!  The boat is a vintage piece @ $60 and the vase was about $25. Some day the Chinese wood stand will be painted turquoise. 





There are 14 cubby holes all lit up surrounding the cabinets and in the bar.  So I was lucky enough to find 10" pots in China to add to the collection. 


Don't hate me but these only cost me $26 each.  Here in the stores, they run between $150 - $240 each.  OUCH!  But you have to remember a store has to pay for shipping, customs and mark up. 








Below is how my collection looked before the movers had to pack and crate.  I wouldn't be surprised if half my container was filled up by all these pots. 




I took ladies shopping at the Chinese factories as part of my business.  At the first stop I would make a cash commission and at the next stop, which was the Porcelain dealers, I would spend it.  



The piece above at the factory and here on my patio. 









Comments

POPULAR POSTS