TERRA COTTA PLANTER


Making something new again. 



I can't believe it's been this long but I transformed this terra cotta planter over 10 years ago and most of the time it was used as a side table with a round mirrored top. Sometimes it was also used outside, so you can see it's taken a beating. 



I never finished the inside - and I can't image why not.  It always looked unfinished because of it. 


ORIGINALLY
First, I painted the pot with a Ralph Lauren sand paint and then I glued the black stones onto the pot which makes it extremely heavy.  To pull it together I used gray grout and then probably polyurethaned the entire thing to last. 



I added grass in spots to give an earthy appearance but it's rotted over time  - so I pulled it all off and then sanded down the stones.  I wanted to lighten the color and transform it to a more seaside look.  


One of my tricks is to use this Rust-Oleum spray in Desert Bisque.  It's an oil base spray that I use sparsely over many pieces - statues, candlesticks, pots, etc.  Then I do a light white wash over it.  The spray is oil base and when you paint the water base over it - it won't adhere in places.  It creates an aged worn look. 




Spraying the pot here and there outdoors.  Not a solid coverage!


And I had a visitor. 


You can see up close how you get the 2 tone effect of the white wash and the spray.  Even some of the old gray shows thru.
I use a planter base underneath - and added bud feet that I got from the craft store.  Use a strong glue because they are always coming off.  This also has a light wax finish. 


To get a 'beachy' look on my new revised piece I added shells.  But the white shell needed toning down. 


So, I mix a little of the dark wax with natural wax and with a $1 store brush I age the shell. 


Then I add some new grass with a glue gun.   








BEFORE - AFTER

Someday it will go into a garage sale but for now I can still use it for my pool towels. 



Comments

POPULAR POSTS